We are powered by volunteers!
We pride ourselves on having the most wonderful volunteers on the planet! We have fun and give back to the community, all at the same time. There are many different things to do while at PHA, and we encourage our volunteers to find what makes them the most happy. Some people like to organize, other like to work with our clients, and some of our teens love to take out the trash (it is true!). Whatever your interests, we have a job for you. There are also plenty of ways to help from home or at special events. If you would like to get more involved, Contact us to discuss the many opportunities.
- Tuesdays from 10am-1pm – Work with our clients and social workers, accept and organize donations
- Wednesdays from 9am-12pm – Work with our clients and social workers, accept and organize donations
- Most Sundays from 10am-12noon – Teen volunteers accept and organize donations, do special projects
- Truck Runs – Help pick up donated furniture. We can schedule to accommodate your availability
- Help accept large mattress donations – dates vary
- Participate in Zero Waste Days, Whole Foods drives, etc. – dates vary
- Organizing a neighborhood or office drive
- Group Projects – schedule your group (Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Dance troupe, After School Club, Office co-workers, etc.) to come to PHA to do special projects at our facility or to benefit PHA
We provide an outlet for the community to get involved in helping others in an environment that fosters collaboration. All volunteers are given the opportunity to contribute in new and thought provoking ways because we are a nimble organization – allows looking for new and better ways to serve our clients. Volunteers have the opportunity to work with both small and large groups, or even by themselves from home or with friends and neighbors. Because we are so flexible in terms of time commitment, our volunteers range from giving two hours a week to an hour every few months or even (but we hope not!) just a one time deal.
What our volunteers are saying…
“It is amazing how being involved with others can make so much difference in a positive way. When one is just out there on your own it’s isolating and hard to gain momentum. I so appreciate PHA because you are allowing me to participate and feel like I am making a positive difference. So much harder to do when on one’s own.
A friend and I were commenting how much better we feel actually doing something instead just sitting around feeling helpless. 😀 Thank you for letting me be a part of your work.”Joyce Davis
“We had so much fun, and we’re very moved by what you said. Sometimes after we volunteer somewhere I question whether we really made a difference, or question the work that the organization is doing but that was definitely not how any of us felt today. PHA is so sensible. It’s just the right thing to do, and although I know we impacted the community in an almost immeasurable way, I don’t think there is much of an argument to say something is more worthwhile than helping provide a decent living space.”Jonathan Abbott, PA Class of ‘13